AUGUST 2018 OPEN POSITION!
HRS-PART TIME/15-35 a week
PAY- $15-18per HOUR
START TIME- IMMEDIATE
- Metal fabrication on a production scale- repetitive sawing, hammering, drilling, cutting, stamping sheet and wire metal
- jewelry assembly on a production scale- closing lots of jump rings! Cutting lots of chain!
- Finishing- sanding, filing, brushing and patina
- Bead weaving and detailed sewing
- Stone setting
- Wire wrapping and ear wire construction
- be confidant and comfortable working with light machinery, hammers, torches, and jewelry tools in a busy noisy studio
- self managing time between multiple projects a day
- working and communicating with a team of other jewelers to develop an individualized workflow in sync with the needs of our production calendar
We can offer some training for acquisition or refinement of certain skills, and assignments will be based on your individual strengths of the maker, but this position requires reasonably strong prior experience and comfort in the areas listed above.
• have 2+ years of jewelry fabrication or assembly experience
• proficient knowledge of jewelry fabrication tools
• detail oriented and motivated self starter
• easily balance a variety of work and tasks that are disparate in difficulty, scope, and priority-level
• work confidently with high standards of shop safety and efficiency
Alchemilla is a small growing business!
We have our studio in the owners live/work loft in West Oakland, filled with light and plants and a very cute dog! The environment is intimate and positive. We take our work seriously and at the same time really want to enjoy every day on this planet and make each other feel good so negative/complaining/ego vibes are not welcome! Currently you will be working alongside 3-4 other jewelers as well as our Business Manager Liz, and our owner, Jen. If you share our passion for creating meaningful and magical pieces in a focused and busy environment. If you have the ability to work with extreme attention to detail at a quick and clean pace. If you are excited to learn and share your knowledge with a team of like minded artists- this could be the perfect fit for you!
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send us your resume and a cover letter or a few words as to why your personality and skills will make you a perfect addition to our crew! We cant wait to hear from you!
Does all of this sound amazing to you? Could this position be your dream job?
I want to find someone who has a passion for small business and is excited about seeing Alchemilla expand. I am looking for this to be a long-term position. Please consider this when applying.
*Currently we are hiring for at least 2 part time positions and are flexible about the amount of hours (could be between 15-35). Hours always expand (often double) during the holiday season and there is always a break in January and February.
*The hourly rate will be determined according to experience $15-18 per hour to start with room for growth.
*Alchemilla is located in Oakland, CA.
___________MORE ABOUT ALCHEMILLA!_____________
What began in 2012 as a vision to legitimize my free lancing and pay the bills with some of my creative projects, has blossomed 6 years later into a thriving and successful jewelry business! After four years I brought on the incredibly talented Voula to help manage the company and sadly she is moving to the East coast. I am looking for a STELLAR manager to replace her in what is a growing, busy and fun woman and queer run business!
Alchemilla is the small craft business of artist Jen Lorang (thats me!). I am a self taught jeweler and mostly self taught artist. Alchemilla focuses primarily on jewelry as well as a small line of silkscreen prints, calendars and books. We use vintage, deadstock and reclaimed materials to create a unique line of limited run creations that evoke magic, beauty and resilience in the wearer. Alchemilla is against appropriation, colonialism, and exotification. We are against hetero-normatively and beauty standards that are racist and shame bodies. We believe both in the end of capitalism and the truth that artists are essential to society and should be supported to live as artists- unfortunately under the current system that leaves artists with few options. I have chosen jewelry as a way to support myself and others in my community but Alchemilla is more than that. We care about systemic change. We care about decolonization. We are looking for someone to join our company who is passionate about all of these things and has amazing style and a great sense of humor to boot! Is that you?
To apply for this position, please send cover letter, resume and references to HELLO@THEALCHEMILLA.com